Monday, February 5, 2018

Hugtto! Precure Episode 01 [First Impression]

HOORAY HOORAY~ IT’S TIME FOR PRECURE!



Eva’s First Impression


My goodness, it has been what? A year and half since I last covered Precure? It feels like it has been an eternity! Unfortunately I dropped Mahou Tsukai Precure very early on, and when Kirakira Precure A La Mode started, at the time I was on an indefinite hiatus, (and I still haven’t gotten around to watch it). But it seems it was certainly worth the wait making the return to Precure all the more sweeter.


It is only the first episode, but I am already in love with our three heroines. Hana is fabulous, her positive mindset, perky personality, and oh my goodness, she is an energetic one. The only thing that turns me off is her non-stop cheer! (And I know is going to drive me nuts!) We also have fellow classmate Yakushiji Saaya , she seems to be the typical studious type, but an approachable and adorable one at that. She and Kagayaki Homare (yellow) appear to be friends. Homare looks like she is going to be that super chill character – and everyone’s girl crush because she’s so cool. I look forward to getting to know the other two girls more, especially in regards to their nature since as of right now, their more temperate personalities would be a good way to balance out Hana’s boisterous energy.


Then we have the magical duo, Baby Hugtan and the talking Hamster/Mouse (whatever he is) Harry. Their debut was hysterical. Hugtan comes shooting from the sky and lands in Hana’s arms. Following that Harry briefly introduces themselves, providing no explanation whatsoever and claims they will be crashing at her place. They don’t disappear until he thinks he made a mistake of Hana not being the one they are looking for. Of course in the end, it is her because she saves them from the enemy and its fed minion. Apparently she has an overwhelming amount of of *Asu-power (?) which is crucial to making sure Hugtan gets fed Asu-Power and stuff.


But I must say, I am absolutely astounded by their decision to go with the name “Cure Yell”. When I first heard it, I burst out laughing because of how ridiculous it was. It had me thinking I must have been watching Troll-Subs, and so I double-checked and much to my dismay, Cure Yell is legit. For the love of God, why in the world did they not name her Cure Cheer?! For crying out loud, her entire design is based off a Cheerleader outfit, she uses POM POMS! I literally cannot wrap my head around the decision for her name.  I feel so bad for her character! Frankly speaking, I am half expecting this name to come back to bite her at some point, for example:


“Oh look it’s Cure Yell!”
“Cure Yell?”
“Yeah the one who yells a lot”


… And perhaps that may be the writer’s intent to begin with, much like how we were given a story behind why her character design featured such bangs. Only time will tell (but I am anticipating her Precure alias to be insanely popular among the students). Speaking of her bangs though, I really like them, but that wasn’t always the case. When I first saw her character design for the first time I was thinking to myself, “Her bangs are really too short…” but after seeing her cut it herself, I found myself liking it even more. There was something about her having done it herself that made them charming, and not to mention, it becomes her signature look!
And hey, it also drops a fair warning to the kids: Don’t cut your bangs on the morning of class!


Maybe it has been a while, but the transformation sequence felt a lot shorter and appeared to have been simplified in many ways. However, make no mistake, it was absolutely stunning, but the fight scene takes the cake – it was absolutely spectacular. I am not always a fan of glitter, but the way they used it was fantastic. Another thing that stood out to me is actually the BGM, which is surprising because Precure’s soundtrack tends to fall deaf to my ears more often than I would care to admit.


Overall I really enjoyed the premiere of Huggto Precure. It’s certainly going to be an interesting one with the combination of promising characters, free hugs for everyone and a baby watched over by a talking hamster. I feel there’s a lot of potential in this show, but my main concerns lies is whether or not I have the patience to put up with Hana’s endless cheering mantra, or the baby. Now the baby hasn’t done anything wrong so to speak, but I really can’t stand babies’- especially when they cry. So either Hugtan gotta grow up ASAP or avoid excessive crying sessions. I suspect Hugtan will eventually grow up and become an additional member to the squad at some point or another.


Since it’s been a long time, here’s a quick refresh of how I will proceed with the show: Since the series consists 50 episodes, I usually commit for 10 episodes to get a feel of the nature and its theme, and then I will decide whether or not it it something I will like to commit to. So let’s hope for a promising one! :D


And one last thing I would like to point out: Since I am also covering iDOLISH7 on Sundays, varying on my condition and schedule, my Precure entries may sometimes be bumped to Mondays instead.


Possibility of Blogging: High
Possibility of Watching: High


PS: If you guys know any reliable fansubs, please drop a comment below. For this episode I used Anon Subs and I don’t know how reliable they are since I don’t know the group. So far it appears fine, but I have noticed some variation of spelling and terms for certain things with the sources I’ve been using to double-check a couple of things!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dorei-ku the Animation – Episode 10

We’ve seen Ryuuou’s backstory from Julia’s point of view. This episode we get Ryuuou’s backstory from Ryuuou’s point of view. His relationsh...